4 Nov 2010

104 Years old and still working

Green1 Allocated (104YO Male, fall ? Fractured Hip)

We arrive at the sheltered housing apartment block and walked into the residence's communal area. The Scheme manager approaches us and informs us that the gentleman will down shortly. I asked how is he getting down considering he has pain in his hip. "Oh" she says "he's very independent and he's cheesed off that we've called him an ambulance, he doesn't want any days of sick from work". "From work" I said "what are you running here a work house, what do you mean days off sick". "Oh" She said "He works for the plumbers around the corner, cleans their vans, he ran the marathon 2 years ago too".

Shocked from hearing this information I had to take a seat while waiting for the old fella. As I sat back on the chair in the communal lounge I heard a crunch with a sudden sharp pain right in my arse, I shot straight up onto my feet thinking I had sat on some poor old folk. When I looked down there was a skeleton sitting in the chair. Apparently the 104YO bought this skeleton and likes to leave it in the chair covered with an old blanket to scare the old girls that live there.

Anyway shaken up from my ordeal with skeletor I greet my new patient and walk him to our ambulance for some observations, as he refused to go by chair. All the Obs we fine (actually they were text book) I had a feel of his hips which he didn't appreciate but they seemed fine, just had a little bruising. After a lengthy conversation I informed him that we will pop him down to hospital and he reluctantly agreed. (Because of his age it is best to get him checked over). But before we could leave for hospital he challenged me to an arm-wrestle which I reluctantly agreed to.

I wheeled him into A&E where there was a half hour wait due to the Nurse shift change. This is how the clinical handover went.

"This is ?????? he is 104 years old, he had a fall last night and now suffering from a little bit of pain in his right hip. I've assessed him and he has a full range of movement in his hips and legs. He can weight bare and walk without pain. His Obs are all normal and he his alert and well. Plus he's still in full time employment" Unimpressed Nurse "What is he doing hear then! Pissed of me "BECAUSE HE'S PAID HIS NATIONAL INSURANCE FOR 90 YEARS"

Did he win that arm wrestle, yes of-course he did. Don't know whether I let him though lol

No comments:

Post a Comment