28 Oct 2010

Babe in Distress

AMBER-1 Allocated (2YO Male, 18% Burns)

We rush the 6 1/2 miles to the address and are the first ones on scene. At first we were presented with a mum with her 2YO boy standing next to her on the pavement, with her holding his right arm. He was hysterical. Once on the back of our truck I took his coat off and noticed that he had no skin left on his right arm & back. With his skin hanging off his back I desperately tried to apply burns dressings to him. But he was moving around in agony, so much so that the dressings were falling off. I tried to prize his mums hand off his right arm, which she was gripping so tight that she was literally stretching the skin off his hand. I asked her how this happened and she told me it happened in the bath, but it looked like a saucepan of boiling water to me. I also asked if she had applied cold water to him after the accident but she replied no, I was shocked that she hadn't even tried to cool it down and she even told him off for crying. There was nothing we could do to relieve his pain and all we could do was wrap him in burns kit, hold him and listen to his cries, watch his face as he struggles with the agony.

I haven't slept a full night since that job, I close my eyes and see his face and feel his agony. Knowing that he was looking at us for help and we couldn't relieve his pain in any great way. I feel so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment